Thursday, August 4, 2016

Golden State Warriors @ Portland Trail Blazers, May 7, 2016 (Western Semi-Finals Game 3)

Before I moved up to southern Washington, I shipped my wife and kids up north.  Long story.  During one of my weekend trips to see them, I decided to treat my wife to a basketball game... which is kinda like Homer Simpson gifting his wife a bowling ball.  However, my wife likes the Warriors, so that went over a wee bit better than it did with Marge.  The Dubs were the visitors at the Moda Center, home to the Portland Trail Blazers, and they came into this third game of the series up 2-0.  Steph Curry was still injured, which made my wife sad since she wanted to see him play, but what can you do... here are 20 photos of the game and surrounding atmosphere.

My wife and I made it just in time for the start of the game (parking near the Moda Center is a nightmare).

This was a new one for me (and especially odd considering how many arenas / stadiums I've been to) = a tattoo parlor in the concourse.  And there were patrons!

We weren't the only Warriors fans in attendance.  I actually saw a number of Warriors fans on my Friday night flight from San Jose to PDX.


We didn't wear the LED wristbands, naturally.

Damian Lillard (Bay Area native) enters to applause.


Across the way, the Warriors make last minute preparations.

Game on!

Mason Plumlee goes to the basket for the Blazers.

About what I expected after the first 12 minutes... not too bad from a Dubs fan's perspective.

Steph Curry sighting!

And then... the 3's began to rain down for Portland.

UGH... not good going into halftime.

Shaun Livingston

Damian Lillard

The score deficit was actually getting worse

And it didn't help that Marreese Speights missed both free throws.

Ditto Andre Iguodala.

Alas... the Warriors lost by 12.  And it didn't even seem that close.

Of course, the Warriors would win the series in 5 (though that belies the danger that Portland presented every game)... meaning we saw the only loss.  

And of course, the Warriors would come back from an epic collapse against the OKC Thunder only to have an epic collapse against the Cleveland Cavaliers.  Sigh.  But as the San Francisco Giants organization pointed out, there's nothing wrong with winning every other year.  Go Dubs.

No comments: