Friday, December 19, 2014

San Diego Breweries, Thanksgiving weekend 2014

On the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend, my wife, her brother, and I went to four different breweries in San Diego = Port / Lost Abbey, Stone, Ballast Point, and Green Flash, before having dinner at the Gaslamp Quarter's Tipsy Crow.  Here are the photos.


First up = Port Brewing / Lost Abbey (same company, different products).




This was our second favorite brewery of the day.

Outside of Stone Brewing Company; I'm posing like this because I faked a limp so my brother-in-law could use his handicap placard (hey, there was zero parking otherwise).

Outside seating area of Stone.

Stone actually makes pretty decent ceviche.

Joe and Shelley were our neighbors, so we chatted it up (we both have Dakota connections, although mine is 2nd generation).

Next stop = Ballast Point


Mallory, seen here, made sure that this would be our favorite brewery of the day.  Everything we had blew us away, so we bought quite a bit to take back up north with us.

Final brewery = Green Flash


I'll be honest - the people here were nice, and their beers are ones I buy often at the store, but the samples I had here weren't so good (although the special Cuvee Trippel was amazing).  This was my least favorite stop of the day, although it's mostly relative.




Time to hit San Diego proper.



My brother-in-law gets directions on his phone.

The Tipsy Crow

The bouncer saw me taking this photo, which made me feel like a dork until he said, "Which NEX [Sony camera] is that?"  Turns out he's a professional photographer who is sponsored by Sony! 


My attempt at portraiture.

The upstairs of The Tipsy Crow is pretty amazing.




I've never seen this before = the Tipsy Crow treats its beers / drinks like commodities on the stock market, adjusting the prices as the day goes on.  Novel concept.

Coming up - the Friday of our Thanksgiving weekend, starting in Hollywood.

No comments: