Thursday, June 20, 2013

Terracotta Warriors and the Asian Art Museum, San Francisco (May 2013)

Last month, my wife and I went to San Francisco to see the world-famous Terracotta Warriors exhibit at the Asian Art Museum.  We weren't able to see them in their home in China when we went to Beijing, but this was the next best thing.  Enjoy the photos.


There was a big Asian heritage event outside the museum.

















This was a bell, I believe.

The emperor was a ruthless dude.









We had never actually been to the Asian Art Museum before (the only major SF museum I haven't been to), so we explored the permanent collection as well as the special exhibition.










Yummy...







People laughed when they saw me composing this shot of a headless deity and another head behind it.










This is made of jade, I believe.








Modern art...

...and much older art.






This painting dates to the 1500s.

City Hall, across from the museum.

Tai chi instruction.

After our museum excursion, we drove about a mile away to Smitten Ice Cream, recommended by my buddy Nathan.

They use Kelvin liquid nitrogen machines to make each serving of ice cream.  Not each batch - each serving.

Accordingly, they only offer three flavors.




This may have been the best strawberry ice cream I've ever tasted.

And this was, without question, the greatest mint ice cream I've ever had.

Next door to Smitten's ice cream stand was the Biergarten, a temporary place built on public land.

Just like it translates to from German, it's a beer garden!

All in all, pretty awesome Saturday up in The City.

No comments: