Sunday, June 9, 2013

Museo del Oro, Bogota, Colombia (Day 4 Part 1)

On my trip to Colombia, I didn't have too many "must dos."  I was content to wander around and see whatever my buddy Chang thought I should see.  However, I did have one item on my to do list that I absolutely had to see before I left Colombia = the world famous Museo del Oro (Gold Museum).  Here are the photos from the first part of Day 4.

Before going to the museum, we needed food.  This funky little restaurant in La Candelaria was attached to a hostel, and had amazing food.

The colorful streets of La Candelaria, en route to the Museo del Oro.

Museo del Oro's facade (making up a large part of the perimeter of a plaza).

We started on the uppermost floor, where Chang posed with photos of indigenous people of Colombia.

Everything was labeled in Spanish and English.  This gringo approved.

Enjoy the photos of the pre-Columbian (yes, with a "u") gold artifacts.





This was the highlight of the entire museum, in my opinion = The Offering Raft, found in a lake.



This terrible photo gives you an idea of the size of the Offering Raft.

I walked into a circular room, and the door closed.  Then a light show began, showcasing gold pieces.





Pretty cool seeing all of the pieces in one room, lit up.
















Not all of the artifacts were made of gold, by the way.






Yes, that's a mummy.




We spent hours inside, so we were ready for more food afterwards.  Oblea time!

Coming up = Cerro de Monserrate.  Stay tuned.



No comments: