Monday, June 10, 2013

Cerro de Monserrate, Bogota, Colombia (Day 4 Part 2 plus Day 5)

While Chang and I were inside the Museo del Oro, it started to rain (rain is common in Bogota).  We still decided to head up the local mountain, Cerro de Monserrate, via gondola.  Here are the pics of the rest of the day, as well as my final day in Colombia (which was very mellow).

The gondola station at the base of the mountain.






"Here's looking at you, chump."


Bogota's base elevation is already over 8,000 ft., so this was definitely over 10,000 ft.

The ugly blogger.


The church on top of the mountain is a local landmark, visible from miles around.










As to be expected, there was a tourist market.

Chang needed to buy something for his relatives in the States, so he did it here.


Locals playing chess.




I felt intrusive taking this photo, but I don't think they would have minded even if they saw me take it.

The lower part of Cerro de Monserrate had stations of the cross.



We then went back down to La Candelaria.  Off topic - I'm really pleased with this photo.

Changhee, at home in his hometown.

The light of the sky was really tremendous, post-rain showers.



Another green statue (a nude woman).

Another green statue.

Looking back towards Cerro de Monserrate.


Universidad de la Salle, near where I was staying.

Of course, immediately after we started down the hill, the clouds all disappeared.  Como se dice "Murphy's Law?"

A candid photo of an active discussion from a windowsill.

The next day, my last day in Colombia, I went back to Chang's house, where we met up with Jose, who came to the U.S. with Chang a few years ago to visit.  I had the pleasure of meeting him in my hometown, but I was worried that we wouldn't be able to see each other in Bogota, since he was busy much of the week I was there.  Better late than never.

We went out for ajiaco at a restaurant near Chang's house, far from La Candelaria.  Rodrigo was kind enough to meet us there.

The college roommates, hanging out at least one last time.

The restaurant had hilarious signs in English.  This is one of the best.

Ajiaco, a potato soup that's very Colombian, and very tasty.

I have no idea what this dessert is called, but it was pretty good (even if the fruit looks like a pickle).

We split two desserts between the four of us.  No idea what this one is called, either.

Goodbye, Colombia.  You were a good choice for the last international trip this year.  Time to head home to the wife, however.

Well, almost time to head home to the wife.  Miami Beach photos coming up next, followed by a major announcement.  Stay tuned.


No comments: