Wednesday, April 24, 2013

RIP Minaret of the Umayyad Mosque, Aleppo, Syria

When I entered Syria in 2007 on my way from Greece to Egypt by land, my first stop was the city of Aleppo, and one of my first stops within Aleppo was the Great Mosque, aka Umayyad Mosque (not to be confused with the more famous Umayyad Mosque of Damascus).  The architecture there was exciting and, for this Westerner, exotic.  

Tonight I read that the minaret of the mosque was destroyed in a moment by either Bashar al-Assad's forces or the anti-government rebels.  Either way, it's a cultural and architectural travesty.  Here are some photos of the minaret and the mosque (and a disheveled, sweaty blogger) from a happier time, six years ago.  Compare them to what you see in the photos in the link, and you'll probably understand why I'm livid.








(more Cartagena photos, coming soon)



No comments: