Thursday, April 11, 2013

Little Havana and Villa Vizcaya, Miami, FL

I just got back from 10 days in Colombia, South America, where I visited my old college roommate.  En route, I had two layovers in Miami, each for between 6 and 9 hours.  Here's what I did during my first layover in Miami.

I had been to Miami once before, in 2008.  Little Havana was a short ride from the airport, and I was hungry.  Time to get some grub.

This is La Carreta, which has a 24 hour booth.

I got some churros and coffee, but I needed some other food.

It was time to go back to a place I visited in 2008 = Versailles.

Both restaurants were on Calle Ocho, the heart of Little Havana.

Truth to advertising? = Versailles might actually be the world's most famous Cuban restaurant.

After fueling my belly, I went for a LONG walk (twenty blocks) down Calle Ocho.

It was Good Friday, and the churches were full.



Aka "Domino Park" (note the players in back).

Little Havana, as you probably know, is full of Republican-leaning anti-Castro Cubans.  This monument honors the fallen in the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion in 1961.

More monuments.



Time to leave Little Havana.  While heading out of the barrio I passed the new Miami Marlins stadium.

My next destination was Villa Vizcaya, the former mansion of millionaire James Deering.  It is located in Coconut Grove.





The mansion is on Biscayne Bay.  This stone barge is out back.







More than one bride-to-be was having her photos taken on site.







Photos inside were forbidden.  However, there was just one person working inside, and no security cameras... sorry Vizcaya.









Ribbit...


Later that afternoon I flew to Bogota, Colombia.  Stay tuned.

No comments: