Tuesday, January 15, 2013

RIP George Gund III


Original San Jose Sharks co-owner George Gund III passed away this morning of cancer.  George and his brother Gordon were the reason that the NHL expanded to San Jose and succeeded, even after the Golden Seals (a team that George partly owned) failed miserably in nearby Oakland in the late '60s and early '70s.  George was, by all accounts, a passionate fan of the game and a man unafraid to pour money into the franchise.  Although George and Gordon sold the Sharks in 2002 to San Jose Sports & Entertainment Enterprises, George stayed on as a minority stakeholder until his death.

At the risk of sounding sappy over the death of a businessman, it is safe to say that I would literally not know a fair portion of my friends without George Gund.  Aside from the fact that he gave me my most favorite sports team of all time, I will first and foremost be grateful for the friendships that I have formed with others as a wonderful residual effect of the Sharks' presence in San Jose.

RIP Mr. Gund.


No comments: