Monday, February 20, 2012

Washington, D.C. - Day 1

Last week, I traveled to Washington, D.C., for my first San Jose Sharks road game in a calendar year. For me, that's a bit of a drought. Being a teacher and all, I find D.C. to be an amazing place, so I was glad I had a couple of days in town before the puck dropped. Here's Day 1 (and it'll be awhile before I post Day 2 and Game Day, since I'm actually in Ohio on my winter break, making up for all those lost months of non-Sharks road games, and I don't have the full set of photos on my hard drive).

The last time I flew to D.C. was in 2007, and I landed at night in Dulles. This time around I wised up and flew into Ronald Reagan, just across the river from D.C.

My fiancee told me about the Moonlight Monuments tour, so after checking into my hotel I went down to Union Station to hop aboard.

I was secretly happy to be in DC, despite the look on my face. The reason I'm frowning is because the wind was super intense, and forced the tour to cancel the excursion to Virginia to see the Iwo Jima Memorial. Of course, they tell me this after they take my $35... but there were still going to be 3 stops.

The US Capitol (of course)


The Thomas Jefferson Memorial

I got distracted from the majesty of the statue by 1. the crazy 40 mph winds, and 2. text messages alerting me to the fact that Whitney Houston died.

Be honest = TJ looks like Darth Vader at night, doesn't he?

Washington Monument in the distance.

The new Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial, seen from one of the entrances.




His likeness is incredible.

The controversial misquote that isn't going to exist too much longer.

The Lincoln Memorial


This was my favorite one to visit at night.


"I was here... frozen to the core by the wind chill of 8 degrees Fahrenheit."

Coming in about a week = a crap load of art pics from the National Gallery of Art, followed by Sharks @ Capitals photos.

1 comment:

ZeroIndulgence said...

Oh, that is awesome! I seriously need to get back to DC, and hit up that tour when I do.