Sunday, February 19, 2012

New Orleans, LA - Day 14: New Year's Eve

New Orleans is a famous US destination for New Year's Eve, and we wanted to see it in all its glory. We, uh, didn't exactly do just that, but we still had a good time. Here's the recap.

First off = breakfast at Commander's Palace in the Garden District.

Suzanne got extra pretty for the occasion... I got a little dolled up as well.

Jazz brunch, needless to say.

I'll be honest, I don't remember the details on any of these dishes except that they tasted delicious and looked equally fantastic.

Although I do remember that this is quail.

Dessert was delicious too = this was Suz's.

And this bad boy was mine (complete with a whiskey sauce).

Fat and happy (ok, I'm the only fat one), we would try to walk off our calories in the Garden District.

Specifically, Magazine Street.

Hey, another destination pub. Why not stop in for a pint?

The Bulldog is just as renowned as the Avenue Pub for its beer selection.

It's always nice taking advantage of NOLA's open container laws.

I swear I didn't realize that the word "babe" was behind Suzanne when I took this shot back in the French Quarter, but it fits perfectly.

The New Year's college crowd was ready and waiting.

Because Suzanne hadn't been there yet, we went to the famous Cafe du Monde for some beignets.

Care for some beignets with your powdered sugar?

This was all we would see of the fleur de lys drop, sadly.

Our NYE destination = One Eyed Jacks to see The Black Lips.

We got there just after the show was supposed to start (9pm). I'm a seasoned concert veteran, so I knew that the opener might not make it on until 9:30 or so.
However, the opener didn't make it on until 10:30, and the Black Lips themselves (seen here) didn't come on until 11:30pm. Seeing the fireworks outside was pretty much out of the question at this point.

I was a little bit in the doghouse with Suzanne, and I admit that I wasn't super happy about the circumstances.

However, it was pretty amusing seeing everyone go ape for New Year's.

The show wasn't exactly our cup of tea, but it was good to finally scratch the band off our bucket list.

In hindsight, I find it odd that The Black Lips were my welcome committee to the year 2012. Ah well...

The next day we drove back to Chattanooga before flying home on January 2nd. All good trips must come to an end... next year we'll incorporate a new destination into our visit to her parents. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

ZeroIndulgence said...

Yeah, you missed out. Ringing in the new year at Jackson Square is definitely an experience...