Monday, February 27, 2012

Chicago, Day 1 - Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks

After the San Jose Sharks were routed in Columbus 6 to 3, it was time to leave the Buckeye State for the Windy City, before ultimately heading northwest to the Twin Cities. One of my two major activities in Chicago was a Chicago Bulls game. Here are the photos:

I boarded the Megabus in Columbus, OH, and headed west towards Indianapolis. This is still Ohio... not very inspiring.

With all due respect to David Letterman, Indiana might be my least favorite state of all (the only four I haven't been to yet are Alaska, Arkansas, Nebraska and Iowa, so I feel like I'm fairly qualified to make a sweeping judgment).

Yawn...

I will have to say that Indianapolis is a beacon of urban hope in an otherwise gloomy pastoral state. Too bad I wasn't able to walk around and see the sights.

After just under 7 hours, the bus arrived in Chicago, one of my favorite cities in the world. I made a last minute decision to get a ticket for the Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks game, and got in a cab headed for the United Center (seen here with the Sears / Willis Tower in the background).

Moo...

The Chicago Blackhawks also play here, so needless to say I had been inside before.

Warm-ups (Bulls at top of photo).

My actual view was better than this, although this was taken from my seat (row 3 of the upper deck).

Michael Jordan may have had something to do with the Bulls' two three-peats.

Benny the Bull fires up the crowd.

Center Joakim Noah was about to have a special night (his first career triple double).

Chicago native Derrick Rose was the starting point guard (see, I'm learning something about basketball!).

And the game begins.

If you look closely you'll see Ronnie Brewer leaping for the basket.

Joakim Noah makes his free throw attempt.

Small forward Luol Deng was playing through a bit of pain, considering he opted to delay surgery on the torn ligament in his left wrist.

Derrick Rose's free throw attempt.

Halftime, with the Bulls leading = Cirque du Soleil's "Duo Design" wowed the crowd with their skills.

I can do that but I don't wanna.

After the halftime, the teams switched baskets (I know you find it amusing that I'm noting this, but keep in mind this was my second NBA game ever).

There was an 18 point spread to start the fourth quarter.

Music during the commercial break.

A nice night for Deng (#9)....

Brian Scalabrene entered the game in the fourth quarter.

The Bulls fans shouted for Scalabrine throughout the fourth quarter.

The Bucks may have been push overs, but I'd do horribly playing street ball against those guys, for what that's worth.

Final = Bulls, 110; Bucks 91 (and everyone wins fast food).

The Bulls' six champion trophies were in the concourse.

Outside, the statue of Stan Mikita impressively bears his likeness.

As does that of Brett Hull's daddy ;-)

Post-game (non-) antics could be had at the Map Room, a famous bar / pub / tavern in the northwest of the city. I knew they had 3 Floyds' brew, so I tried three different kinds. Verdict = Three Frogs IPA in Columbus > Three Floyds beer from Indiana. Oh well.

Coming up next - The Art Institute of Chicago. Stay tuned.

No comments: