Tuesday, January 10, 2012

January 10th - More than just my 30th birthday

Today marks the 30th anniversary of The Catch, the famous play by Joe Montana and Dwight Clark in the 1982 NFC Championship between the San Francisco 49ers and the Dallas Cowboys. That exact date also marked my birth (my poor mother was at the mercy of distracted Niner-fan doctors - I wish I were making that up, but keep in mind I was born about an hour after the game ended).

January 10th's a pretty cool date in history = here are some notable facts about that date.

NOTE = Because I was born at 9:04pm in the Pacific Time Zone, it was really January 11th in most parts of the world, including in New York City. Not that I really care, mind you.







THE CATCH = read about it here.












Ray Bolger, the Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz, was born on this day in 1904.















Frank Mahovlich, the Hall of Fame left wing who won four Stanley Cups with the Toronto Maple Leafs (yeah, a while ago) and two with the Montreal Canadiens, was born on this day in 1938. Coincidentally, the head scout of the Canadiens during his last two Cup wins (Ron Caron, who was later the St. Louis Blues GM) passed away yesterday. Bittersweet birthday this year...










Another Hall of Famer was also born this day in 1938 = Willie McCovey, the San Francisco Giants' Rookie of the Year in 1959.


















I'm not a fan ("Maggie May" is one of my least favorite songs of all time, despite its influence), but Rod Stewart was born on this day in 1945.
















George Foreman, who makes some fantastic grills, was born this day in 1949.













Pat Benatar was born this day in 1953. One of my guilty pleasures is singing in the car to "Love Is a Battlefield."









Other notable things in history on January 10th:

1776: Thomas Paine published Common Sense.
1810: Napoleon Bonaparte divorced Josephine.
1862: Samuel Colt died.
1863: The London Underground opened.
1911: Coco Chanel died.
1917: Buffalo Bill Cody died.
1920: The Treaty of Versailles officially went into effect, ending World War I.
1927: The massively influential film Metropolis was released in Germany.
1929: The Adventures of Tintin was first published in Belgium (which reminds me, I need to go see the movie).
1951: The author Sinclair Lewis died.
1961: Dashiell Hammett (author of The Maltese Falcon) died.
1976: The musician Howlin' Wolf died.

No comments: