Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Loose Ends Photos

I've been so busy lately in my professional life that I haven't done many updates about my equally busy personal life (work hard, play harder). Here are the odds and ends of the last month and a half.

I went geocaching for the first time with the bros. Haven't been since, but it was "an experience."

I went to San Diego (previously posted), and loved Coronado Beach.

So did this couple.

The Hotel del Coronado is worth seeing even if you're not staying there (and I wasn't).

Got to see my only road MLB game of the season = Giants @ Padres. Pablo Sandoval hit 2 home runs that day (his second one is seen here).

Gorgeous ballpark - almost a shame it was entirely orange inside. ;-) Giants won 7-2.

I scored tickets to Band of Horses @ the Fillmore, right before it sold out. Very good show (third time seeing them).

Got to see one of my favorite musicians, Patrick Wolf, at Bimbo's 365. Completely different show from his normal sets = quiet and subdued rather than loud and rambunctious. Still amazing.

Got to go up to Ashland for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. This is the set of Measure for Measure, which I HIGHLY recommend (it closes in early November, so get a move on - it's worth the drive).

Jim Vandermeer stares into my camera at the San Jose Sharks Teal & White autograph session.

My buddies Patrick, Keith and I got about 10 to 12 autographs, including Dan Boyle and Douglas Murray, seen here.

I usually don't post work related stuff for privacy reasons, but I took my class to Lassen Volcanic National Park in northern California.

We hiked to Bumpass Hell, seen here.

We also saw the Jelly Belly Factory on the way home (I had never been, and I'm a Bay Area native).

In one show, I got to see (for the second time) Buddy Guy...

...and (also for the second time) BB King.

The Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival this year was pretty fun - this is my alternative rock idol, Bob Mould.

Big crowds for HSBF (Fitz & the Tantrums are onstage).

I succumbed to the hype regarding Mission Chinese Food in San Francisco = this is their Ma Po Tofu, recently listed as the #1 culinary dish to try in SF this year. It's good... without superlatives, though.

Got to see Abigail Washburn and Robyn Hitchcock in Felton (right across the street from my church).

Even got Robyn Hitchcock to autograph my copy of The Soft Boys' Underwater Moonlight.

Artisanal ice cream is all the rage in the city. Bi-Rite (menu seen here) and Humphry Slocombe are equally amazing. Where else can you get bourbon ice cream?

Fleet Week was impressive - it was even better from the rooftop of my friend's fiance's place.

I hadn't attended Off the Grid before last Friday. All the main food trucks in the city congregate in one location (on this occasion it was at Fort Mason). The Chairman Bao truck served some pretty awesome steamed bao rolls.

It was pretty popular.

Another awesome find from Off the Grid = the $5 Moroccan veal tongue taco from the Taco Guys truck. Worth every penny - I wish I could have one every day.

These guys are definitely worth seeking out in the North Bay (or even more easily at Off the Grid).

My buddy Bill and his wife Christina finally made it out to San Jose for a Sharks game. His fandom is now complete (he's been a fan since 1991, despite being a New Jersey native).

We got excellent seats for the occasion. :-)

I had been to Alcatraz only once before in my life; having Bill in town was the perfect excuse to go again.

Not to mention that it was during Fleet Week.


I enjoyed my visit much better the second time around (18 year olds don't appreciate anything ;-) ).

Despite its reputation, Alcatraz wasn't all bad, considering its amazing views.

Lastly, I made it to see the stellar SF band Girls @ the Great American Music Hall.

Excellent, excellent show. It helped that I was front row, esp. since it was sold out.

So that's what I've been up to lately... pretty boring, right? ;-)

No comments: