Thursday, December 23, 2010

What my students believe about Santa

A few days ago I had a writing assignment for my third grade class = "What do you believe about Santa Claus?" Here are some excerpts (edited by yours truly):



BELIEVERS...
  • "I believe Santa Claus is real... I think he works for Christmas. I think he has help from God. I think he helps spread Christmas spirit." [by the way, no misspellings!]

  • "I believe in Santa because on Christmas Eve night, my sister ALWAYS hears the reindeer's foot steps on the roof. And we always put out carrots for the reindeer and the bowl is always half eaten."

  • "I believe that Santa Claus lives in the North Pole because no one can see him [there] and no one barely lives there..."

  • "I believe in Santa because he left footprints on my rug and he eats my cookies. Once he left a mark on my wall."

  • "I believe in Santa because I think if I do not believe he will give coal... I think when you believe you get more toys."

  • "I believe he is real because my brother and I spy on my parents and listen for Santa, and I've also seen him."

  • "I kinda believe in Santa Claus. I think he is real because how do the cookies disappear?"

  • "Some people don't believe it but it doesn't stop me from believing it."

  • "I believe in Santa because a few years ago I heard footsteps on my roof. I got up in the middle of the night and saw someone in the living room. I've gotten exactly what I said I wanted on year in a gift signed, "Santa." You can say there's no such thing as Santa but as for me I believe. My parents would never stuff candy in my stocking even if I begged them all year long."

SANTA ATHEISTS...



  • "I don't believe in Santa Claus because I set up video cameras in the tree and in the chimney. I don't believe in Santa Clause because when I woke up there was nothing in the camera... I also saw my parents in the camera... I am putting the cameras up again this year so I can see again."

  • "It is impossible to fly on a sled in one night. Sleds can't fly. How can Santa live that long? Where would he get the materials to make toys?"

  • "I don't believe in Santa Claus because I think my mom brings me the presents. But there's one problem. My mom or dad wouldn't get up in the middle of the night."


Merry Christmas, everyone!

No comments: