Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Morning Car Theft Blues

This morning I woke up like I usually do on Sunday mornings... late. My church is 25 miles away in the Santa Cruz Mountains, and punctuality isn't my strong suit these days. But today I dutifully showered, got cleaned up, and headed out to the street to get into my car to make the drive.

I live in a nondescript suburban San Jose neighborhood, with low crime rates. Imagine my surprise then upon walking out to my car and realizing... there was no car.

Up until now, I've been pretty blessed when it comes to theft. I suppose then that grand theft auto is my comeuppance for nearly 30 years of theft-free existence.

I've been in some helpless situations before, albeit on the other side of the world where you almost expect the unexpected (i.e. the Middle East). This is the first time I've felt helpless at home. My emotions haven't even cycled into "anger" yet. If you asked me yesterday how I would react to finding out my car was stolen, I would have answered that I'd scream my head off with more profanity than is becoming of a Christian.

How am I doing now? Well, obviously I feel the need to debrief in the form of a blog post. Other than that I haven't hit the roof... my nerves are fairly rattled, though.

In a way, I feel like I've just become paralyzed. That's how dependent I've become on my car, and I take it for granted in the same way I take my two legs for granted. Now that it's gone (even if it's just temporarily "borrowed"), I realize how such simple tasks now become near impossible. If I didn't live just around the corner from my work, I would need to get a lift in the morning and in the afternoon. Even with that blessing, I'm still not within walking distance from a grocery store, my gym, my friends' homes, or any form of entertainment.

I guess I should be thankful that my insurance was comprehensive = I allowed my agent, who also doubles as my father (!), to badger me into keeping it, when all I wanted was the cheap liability coverage. Age and wisdom prevails yet again... So, assuming I don't get my Honda back by Wednesday, I'll be able to get a rental car courtesy of State Farm, until a settlement is made.

In the meantime, if you own a Honda Civic and live in the South Bay, be on alert.

No comments: