Thursday, October 16, 2008

Wire @ Fillmore - photos & setlist (photo)

The English band Wire performed last night at the Fillmore Auditorium in San Francisco. The Lovely Public opened for them. I have to admit that I'm a pretty casual fan of Wire - I only own Pink Flag (widely regarded as one of the best rock albums ever). Thus, I was hearing most of the band's setlist for the first time. But, like the poser that I am, I still headed to the front of the floor, mostly in order to get the photos that you'll see below.

Formed in 1976, Wire is still manned by Colin Newman (vocals, guitar), Graham Lewis (bass, vocals), and Robert Gotobed (drums); Bruce Gilbert departed the band in 2004, and his guitar duties were taken over by Margaret Fielder McGinnis. At the risk of playing the age card, the sight of men rocking out in their mid-50s was inspirational. Also, their sense of humor was contagious ("This next song is about the effects of holy war on electoral voting in Alaska - NOT."), and their generosity (three encores - one not even on the setlist) was endearing.



WIRE:





THE LOVELY PUBLIC


No comments: