Thursday, September 18, 2008

Tomorrow - Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds @ the Warfield

Tomorrow night I will finally see Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, live, for the first time, at the Warfield in San Francisco. Considering the unholy amount of shows I attend, it still shocks me that I haven't yet caught him in one of his various incarnations (his other band Grinderman rolled through town last year while I was traveling)... could be that his shows sell out scarily fast (almost got shut out on this one, too).



Though I knew the reputation since I was 13, my first exposure to Nick Cave's music was belatedly through Wim Wender's 1987 film Wings of Desire (Der Himmel uber Berliner). Fantastic live versions of "The Carny" and "From Her to Eternity." One even gets insight into Nick's inner monologue... watch here.


Anyway, the Bad Seeds' most recent album, Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! is absolutely the best album I've heard this year. Watch this video of the title song - while Nick Cave is definitely not for all tastes, you'll still be singing the chorus in 5 minutes or so. I for one am convinced that his strut in the video will translate into incredible stage presence tomorrow night. Did I mention the man turns 51 on Monday? Way to age respectably... even if that mustache is outrageous(ly awesome).

No comments: